Strong Investor Participation and Presentations at
Long Island Capital Alliance Healthcare Capital Forum
Another Success Story for Previous Presenter
Save the Date: Consumer Products, Manufacturing and Distribution Capital Forum on May 6, 2016
Melville, NY – February 16, 2016 – The Long Island Capital Alliance (“LICA”), Long Island’s leading non-profit capital formation and business development organization, today announced the successful completion of its Healthcare Capital Forum held January 22, 2016. The capital forum featured presentations by five Long Island companies which are building business around innovative medical device and process technologies that improve diagnostic and therapeutic efficacy, enhance patient comfort, reduce healthcare costs and improve safety.
- An audience of approximately 100 attendees, which included venture capital firms, investment banks, private equity firms, and angel and high net worth investors.
- Well-funded New York City-based investors were in conspicuous attendance, in addition to several Long Island-based investors..
- Keynote speaker David L. Calone, President & CEO of Jove Equity Partners, a Long Island-based investment fund, and a candidate for the U.S. Congress from the 1st district of New York, discussed his experience in financing and supporting early stage companies, including many local companies and fast-rising transportation company Uber.
- A panel of industry investors reviewed each of the presenting companies and provided expert insights into the valuation and investment processes typically applied by investors.
- The industry investor panel included Dr. Lishan Aklog, CEO of PavMED Inc., which has been a presenting company at LICA’s previous Healthcare capital Forum, and which is in the process of completing its IPO.
“This Healthcare Capital Forum was one of the strongest and most successful events we’ve held,” said Neil Kaufman, Chairman of LICA. “We are always thrilled when our presenters succeed, and PavMED’s IPO is another example of this. The compelling presentations at the forum clearly demonstrate that we have a very strong collection of emerging healthcare, medical technology and life sciences companies on Long Island, which we believe will continue to be critically important to the economic development of our region. We are very pleased to be able to expose these great companies to the regional investment community and provide all our other additional assistance to turn these into the next generation of powerhouse Long Island employers.”
As reported by Innovate Long Island, Mr. Calone noted, this event demonstrates that “investors on Long Island understand there are opportunities here, instead of having to go elsewhere to find them. And it also seems more people in the city are looking at Long Island as a place to make real investments.”
Don Marchon, founder and CEO of presenting company Remote Medical Technologies, commented that the LICA Healthcare Capital Forum was a “wonderful experience…Input from [LICA Board members] Jeff [Bass} and Neil [Kaufman] was extremely helpful.” Mr. Marchon continued that positive aspects that he experienced at the event included “the opportunity to introduce the company’s technology to the investment community, meet actual investors and establish new contacts for growing my business through local support.”
“This was much more professional [than other Long Island investment events] with the lessons from the panelists, and the LICA coaching was very valuable,” said Jeff Peterson, CEO of presenting company Soteria. “Feedback from [the investor] panel was very helpful [and] it was a good way to get inside the heads of people we present to.”
Healthcare Capital Forum Presenting Companies
The following companies presented their business plans:
Remote Medical Technologies: Real-time, high definition video collaboration and communication for pathologists, surgeons, and radiologists to make impactful time sensitive decisions.
Theragnostic Technologies: A next-generation MRI contrast agent uniquely safe for kidney patients with superior image quality, longest imaging time window, and novel nano-based multi-functionality.
Soteria: The developer of Oxxy/Gen, the world's first affordable, oxygen generating, personal escape respirator.
High Pressure Processing: A natural alternative using pressurized water to purify a wide range of food products compatible with consumer demands for natural, fresh, safe and ready to eat foods and beverages.
Neural Tourniquet: An innovative procedure developed at Northwell Health’s Feinstein Institute for Medical Research to apply electrical stimulation to the vagus nerve to reduce bleeding during surgery.
Healthcare Capital Forum Panel of Investors
The following investment professionals participated in the investor panel at the Healthcare Capital Forum:
David Weild IV, CEO, Weild & Co: Mr. Weild is the founder and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Weild & Co., a technology-driven capital facilitation platform and of its broker-dealer subsidiary. Mr. Weild is a recognized expert on capital formation and capital markets. He has co-authored a number of definitive white papers, studies and articles which have been cited by legislators, regulators, academics, the IPO Task Force, the Equity Capital Formation Task Force and the White House Jobs Council and is widely considered to be the father of the JOBS Act, which has rejuvenated the micro-cap public market. He also has served as:
- Vice Chairman, Executive Vice President and Head of Listed Companies, and a member of the Executive Committee of The Nasdaq Stock Market.
- Vice President and Equity Syndicate Manager, Managing Director and Head of the Global Equity Transaction Groups at Prudential Securities Inc., as well as Managing Director and Head of Corporate Finance and President of PrudentialFinancial.com and PrudentialSecurities.com.
- Senior Advisor Capital Markets at Thornton LLP, a leading public accounting firm.
Lishan Aklog, M.D., Chairman & CEO, PavMed: Dr. Aklog has been recognized for his distinguished career as an academic cardiac surgeon and innovator as a medical device entrepreneur. He is Co-Managing Partner of HCFP, a financial advisory and investment firm and a co-founding Partner of Pavilion Holdings Group (PHG) , a medical device holding company and Pavilion Medical Innovations, a venture-backed medical device incubator. Dr. Aklog has been recognized as one of America's Top Doctors in the Castle Connolly Guide. Dr. Aklog received his M.D., cum laude, from Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Aklog previously served as:
- Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of Vortex Medical Inc., a PHG portfolio company, until its acquisition by AngioDynamics Inc. (Nasdaq: ANGO) for $55 million
- Associate Professor of Surgery, Chief of Cardiovascular Surgery and Chair of The Cardiovascular Center at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center's Heart and Lung Institute in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Assistant Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Associate Chief of Cardiac Surgery and Director of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School
- Director of the Cardiac Surgery Research Laboratory and an attending cardiac surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
Joshua R. Lamstein, Partner, KEC Ventures: Mr. Lamstein has broad experience in private equity, venture capital, and investing in and managing early stage ventures, including the public healthcare market. Mr. Lamstein is a Partner in KEC Ventures and is a Partner and Chief Operating Officer of HCFP, a financial advisory and investment firm.
- Is a director of Penske Media Group, a global media company, as a designee of Quadrangle Group, a private equity firm.
- Co-founded Soli, a global mobile marketing company, and served as its Chief Operating Officer until its acquisition in November 2012 by Acision Nederland B.V., a leading SMS provider to the world's largest telecommunication companies.
- Was a founding member of GF Capital Private Equity Fund and served as a Director and a Managing Director.
- Worked at Apollo Advisers, a global private equity firm.
Harvey Brofman, Investor: Mr. Brofman is a seasoned professional and entrepreneur in healthcare informatics, transaction processing, relationship marketing and healthcare IT. He has been a pioneer in the development and adoption of new systems technology in the medical, pharmacy, pharmaceutical and payor components of the healthcare industry. His specialties include IT systems development and integration, User Interface and User Experience focused multi-point, and multi-touch integrated solutions combining on and off-line tactical strategies.
He also served as:
- President, Nine 4-Bit Slices, a company that owns and invests in companies in various markets with particular interest in healthcare, marketing, analytics, web, mobile applications and alternative energy.
- President, Integrated Tactics
- Vice President & Strategic Partner Development at Cegedim Relationship Management
- President and Chief Executive Officer of OPUS Health LLC
Next LICA Capital Forum
LICA is hosting a Consumer Products, Manufacturing and Distribution Capital Forum on Friday, May 6, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at 68 South Service Road, Melville, NY, 11747. The capital forum will provide an opportunity to meet capital providers, entrepreneurs, industry executives and businesses seeking capital, as well as to hear a panel of industry experts discuss financing alternatives for emerging companies.
About Long Island Capital Alliance
Since 1984, the Long Island Capital Alliance (www.licapital.org), formerly known as Long Island Venture Group, has been promoting business growth on Long Island. LICA seeks to create a productive and business-friendly environment that will afford area businesses access to the resources necessary to compete successfully in today's markets. LICA serves as a focal point for the exchange of ideas among new and existing business enterprises, successful entrepreneurs, investors, and service providers. Through quarterly capital forums and special meetings, LICA brings together members of the region's business community, and has been recognized as the place to turn to when small businesses need equity, debt, or other financing, or for investors to find an attractive investment opportunity.
LICA's mission is to encourage economic development on Long Island by facilitating capital formation for a broad range of companies in various industries, from early stage to mature, middle market, closely held and publicly-traded businesses. LICA accomplishes this primarily through education, networking, quarterly capital forums, periodic special educational meetings, and alliances with other regional organizations. LICA brings together members of the region's business community and serves as the finance arm for significant local business and organizations.
For more information on LICA and its next event, please contact LICA today or register online.
* * *
Darrow Associates, Inc.