Melville, NY – January 13, 2016 – The Long Island Capital Alliance (“LICA”), Long Island’s leading non-profit capital formation and business development organization, today announced the keynote speaker, presenting companies, investor panelists and remaining agenda for its Healthcare Capital Forum to be held on Friday, January 22, 2016. The capital forum will feature presentations by companies which have connections to the Long Island region and are building business around innovative medical device and process technologies that improve diagnostic and therapeutic efficacy, enhance patient comfort and reduce healthcare costs.
At the capital forum, five healthcare companies will present to an audience that will include venture capital firms, investment banks, private equity firms, and angel and high net worth investors. Each of the companies selected by LICA for presentation at the capital forum possesses unique medical innovations and intellectual properties with catalysts for growth. A panel of healthcare investment professionals will be on hand to review the presentations, offer their insights on the presenters’ commercial viability and prospects for market success and provide expert commentary on investment conditions in the healthcare industry.
Healthcare Capital Forum on January 22, 2016 -- Participants
David Calone, President & CEO, Jove Equity Partners: David L. Calone is the President and CEO of Jove Equity Partners, LLC, a private equity and venture capital firm which invests in the internet, software, digital media, real estate and health care industries. He created the LI Emerging Technologies Fund to help launch new technology companies that start in local research laboratories. Mr. Calone is also chairman of the Suffolk County Planning Commission. He is an honors graduate of Harvard Law School and has an economics degree from Princeton University. He is a candidate for Congress in the 1st District of New York.
Panel of Investors:
The following investment professionals will participate in the investor panel at the Healthcare Capital Forum:
David Weild IV, CEO, Weild & Co: Mr. Weild is the founder and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Weild & Co., a technology-driven capital facilitation platform and of its broker-dealer subsidiary. Mr. Weild is a recognized expert on capital formation and capital markets. He has co-authored a number of definitive white papers, studies and articles which have been cited by legislators, regulators, academics, the IPO Task Force, the Equity Capital Formation Task Force and the White House Jobs Council and is widely considered to be the father of the JOBS Act, which has rejuvenated the micro-cap public market.
He also has served as:
- Vice Chairman, Executive Vice President and Head of Listed Companies, and a member of the Executive Committee of The Nasdaq Stock Market.
- Vice President and Equity Syndicate Manager, Managing Director and Head of the Global Equity Transaction Groups at Prudential Securities Inc., as well as Managing Director and Head of Corporate Finance and President of PrudentialFinancial.com and PrudentialSecurities.com.
- Senior Advisor Capital Markets at Thornton LLP, a leading public accounting firm.
Lishan Aklog, M.D., Chairman & CEO, PavMed: Dr. Aklog has been recognized for his distinguished career as an academic cardiac surgeon and innovator as a medical device entrepreneur. He is Co-Managing Partner of HCFP, a financial advisory and investment firm and a co-founding Partner of Pavilion Holdings Group (PHG) , a medical device holding company and Pavilion Medical Innovations, a venture-backed medical device incubator. Dr. Aklog has been recognized as one of America's Top Doctors in the Castle Connolly Guide. Dr. Aklog received his M.D., cum laude, from Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Aklog previously served as:
- Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of Vortex Medical Inc., a PHG portfolio company, until its acquisition by AngioDynamics Inc. (Nasdaq: ANGO) for $55 million
- Associate Professor of Surgery, Chief of Cardiovascular Surgery and Chair of The Cardiovascular Center at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center's Heart and Lung Institute in Phoenix, Arizona
- Assistant Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Associate Chief of Cardiac Surgery and Director of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York
- Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School
- Director of the Cardiac Surgery Research Laboratory and an attending cardiac surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston
Joshua R. Lamstein, Partner, KEC Ventures: Mr. Lamstein has broad experience in private equity, venture capital, and investing in and managing early stage ventures, including the public healthcare market. Mr. Lamstein is a Partner in KEC Ventures and is a Partner and Chief Operating Officer of HCFP, a financial advisory and investment firm.
- Is a director of Penske Media Group, a global media company, as a designee of Quadrangle Group, a private equity firm
- Co-founded Soli, a global mobile marketing company, and served as its Chief Operating Officer until its acquisition in November 2012 by Acision Nederland B.V., a leading SMS provider to the world's largest telecommunication companies
- Was a founding member of GF Capital Private Equity Fund and served as a Director and a Managing Director
- Worked at Apollo Advisers, a global private equity firm
Harvey Brofman, Investor: Mr. Brofman is a seasoned professional and entrepreneur in healthcare informatics, transaction processing, relationship marketing and healthcare IT. He has been a pioneer in the development and adoption of new systems technology in the medical, pharmacy, pharmaceutical and pay or components of the healthcare industry. His specialties include IT systems development and integration, User Interface and User Experience focused multi-point, and multi- touch integrated solutions combining on and off-line tactical strategies.
He also served as:
- President, Nine 4-Bit Slices, a company that owns and invests in companies in various markets with particular interest in healthcare, marketing, analytics, web, mobile applications and alternative energy
- President, Integrated Tactics
- Vice President & Strategic Partner Development at Cegedim Relationship Management
- President and Chief Executive Officer of OPUS Health LLC
Healthcare Presenting Companies:
Remote Medical Technologies: Real-time, high definition video collaboration and communication for pathologists, surgeons, and radiologists to make impactful time sensitive decisions.
Theragnostic Technologies: A next-generation MRI contrast agent uniquely safe for kidney patients with superior image quality, longest imaging time window, and novel nano-based multi-functionality.
Soteria: The developer of Oxxy/Gen, the world's first affordable, oxygen generating, personal escape respirator.
High Pressure Processing: A natural alternative using pressurized water to purify a wide range of food products compatible with consumer demands for natural, fresh, safe and ready to eat foods and beverages.
Neural Tourniquet: An innovative procedure to apply electrical stimulation to the vagus nerve to reduce bleeding during surgery.
LICA is hosting the Healthcare Capital Forum on Friday, January 22, 2015 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at 68 South Service Road, Melville, NY, 11747. The capital forum provides an opportunity to meet capital providers, entrepreneurs, industry executives and businesses seeking capital, as well as to hear a panel of industry experts discuss financing alternatives for emerging medical technology, life science and medical device companies.
About Long Island Capital Alliance
Since 1984, the Long Island Capital Alliance (www.licapital.org), formerly known as Long Island Venture Group, has been promoting business growth on Long Island. LICA seeks to create a productive and business-friendly environment that will afford area businesses access to the resources necessary to compete successfully in today's markets. LICA serves as a focal point for the exchange of ideas among new and existing business enterprises, successful entrepreneurs, investors, and service providers. Through quarterly capital forums and special meetings, LICA brings together members of the region's business community, and has been recognized as the place to turn to when small businesses need equity, debt, or other financing, or for investors to find an attractive investment opportunity.
LICA's mission is to encourage economic development on Long Island by facilitating capital formation for a broad range of companies in various industries, from early stage to mature, middle market, closely held and publicly-traded businesses. LICA accomplishes this primarily through education, networking, quarterly capital forums, periodic special educational meetings, and alliances with other regional organizations. LICA brings together members of the region's business community and serves as the finance arm for significant local business and organizations.
For more information on LICA and its next event, please contact LICA today or register online.
* * *
Darrow Associates, Inc.